Encyclopædia Iranica Foundation (EIF)

Professor Ehsan Yarshater, the editor-in-chief of Encyclopædia Iranica (EIr), established the Encyclopædia Iranica Foundation (EIF) in 1990.  Its purpose was, and remains, to guarantee the continuation of the EIr Sponsored Project at Columbia University, and since its inception it has worked to ensure monetary contributions sufficient to meet the requirements for receiving matching funds from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH).

The mission of the Foundation is to ensure uninterrupted and permanent continuation of the Encyclopædia Iranica as a significant work of reference, archival resource, and data bank covering all aspects of Iranian civilization in its widest temporal and spatial context. Such a resource, even when said to be “complete,” requires not only constant updating, but also the inclusion of new entries to keep abreast of current research.  

In the course of the past two decades, the Encyclopædia Iranica Foundation and its Board of Trustees have been instrumental in augmenting the Endowment Fund, which has been established to ensure the project's long-term viability in the 21st century. The Foundation’s endowment, with approximately $18 million in assets in 2013, will serve as the main source of continuous support for the EIr Project. 

As the current (2013-2015) NEH Grant will be approximately 15 percent of the needed annual budget of $0.8 to $1 million, the remaining 85 percent is expected to come from income generated by this endowment, as well as from fundraising done by the Trustees of the Foundation.

This not-for-profit 501(c)(3) public foundation is registered in New York State (tax identification number: 13-3636524).