Table of Contents

  • DECORATION

    Priscilla P. Soucek

    the use of consciously designed patterns to embellish building surfaces and objects for aesthetic effect. Despite progress in identifying or classifying the features of Persian decorative patterns, few scholars have attempted to explain why particular designs were used in specific periods, regions, or circumstances, even though it can be observed that in a given area or epoch the form and character of ornament are often consistent within a particular craft or different media.

    This Article Has Images/Tables.
  • DECORATIONS

    Yaḥyā Šahīdī

    In Persia there were no orders in the Western sense, but only decorations and medals. The practice of awarding such honors was initiated by Fatḥ-ʿAlī Shah (r. 1797-1834), who introduced the Lion and Sun (nešān-e šīr o ḵoršīd) in 1808, apparently inspired by the Red Crescent adopted by the Ottoman sultan Salīm III (r. 1789-1807).

    This Article Has Images/Tables.
  • DEDE BEG ḎU’L-QADAR

    Cross-Reference

    See ABDĀL BEG.

  • DEDE ʿOMAR RŪŠANĪ

    Tahsın Yazici

    (b. Güzel Ḥeṣār, Aydın province, in western Anatolia, at an indeterminate date; d. Tabrīz, 1487), Turkish Sufi who wrote poetry in both Persian and Turkish.

  • DEDE YŪSOF SĪNAČĀK

    Tahsın Yazici

    (b. Yenice on the Vardar in Ottoman Māqadūnīā [modern Macedonia] at an indeterminate date, d. Istanbul, 1546), Mawlawī Sufi shaikh, poet, and author.

  • DĒDMARĪ, ḴᵛĀJA MOḤAMMAD-AʿẒAM

    Shamsuddin Ahmad

    (1691-1765), historian, poet, and Sufi of Kashmir.

  • DEER

    Cross-Reference

    See ĀHŪ, RED DEER.

  • DEFRÉMERY, Charles-François

    Francis Richard

    (b. Cambray, France, 18 December 1822, d. St.-Valéry-en Caux, France, 18 August 1883), French orientalist and scholar.

  • DEH

    Daniel Balland and Marcel Bazin

    village, in Persia and Afghanistan.

  • DEH MORĀSĪ ḠONDAY

    Jim G. Shaffer

    a Bronze Age archeological site located at 34° 90’ N, 65° 30’ E, adjacent to the village of Deh Morāsī, approximately 27 km southwest of Qandahār and 6.5 km east-southeast of Pahjwāʾī in southeastern Afghanistan.