ĀŽANG (Wrinkle), a Persian newspaper which commenced publication in Esfand, 1332 Š./February, 1954, and lasted until 1353 Š./1974. The license-holder and director was Sayyed Kāẓem Masʿūdī. Featuring news and political comments, Āžang was one of the twelve licensed dailies in Tehran at that time, but in most years only three or four issues per week were actually produced. It consisted initially of four and later of eight pages measuring 35 x 50 cm with seven columns per page. Illustrations and numerous official notices filled much of the space. The first editor, was Īraj Nabawī, who was followed by Reżā ʿAzmī. Though not am organ of the Mellīyūn Party (the governmental party during the premiership of Manūčehr Eqbāl 1336 Š./1957-1339 Š./1960), Āžang strongly supported its policies. Sayyed Kāẓem Masʿūdī was elected to the 22nd Majlis in 1346 Š./1967 and to the 23rd Majlis in 1350 Š./1971 on the then ruling Īrān-e Novīn party’s ticket.
Under the same publication license, a weekly newspaper for Iranians living abroad, named Āžang-e havāʾī, was launched in 1344 Š./1965 and kept afloat for over ten years. Edited by Farīda Malekī and Reżā ʿAzmī, it had twelve pages measuring 21 x 22 cm.
Also on the strength of Āžang’s license, another weekly, Āžang-e jomʿa, was published in the years 1342 Š./1963-1347 Š./1968 under the direction of Farhang Farrahī. Mainly cultural in content, it had eight to twelve pages of the same size as those of the daily Āžang. This weekly paid special attention to modern literature, both Persian and Western, and attracted considerable interest. Several modernist poets and authors contributed to it.
In addition to copies preserved in libraries in Iran, there is an incomplete set of the daily Āžang an the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.
M. Barzīn, Sayr-ī dar maṭbūʿāt-e Īrān 1343-53, Tehran, 1344 Š./1965, pp. 33, 38-39.
Originally Published: December 15, 1987
Last Updated: August 18, 2011
This article is available in print.
Vol. III, Fasc. 2, p. 182