ANJOMAN-E FALSAFA WA ʿOLŪM-E ENSĀNĪ (Iranian Society for Philosophy and Humanistic Sciences) was formed in 1328 Š./1949 as a regional branch of the International Council of Philosophy and Humanistic Sciences, a UNESCO affiliate, as proposed by Ḡ. ʿA. Raʿdī Aḏaraḵšī, then the Iranian representative at the UNESCO. The Society, whose membership was mostly drawn from the professors of University of Tehran in the humanities divisions, was chaired by the celebrated scholar and statesman, Sayyed Ḥasan Taqīzāda, with Ehsan Yar-Shater serving as Secretary until 1338 Š./1959. In 1958, Taqīzāda retired from the Society’s chairmanship and was succeeded by ʿAlī Akbar Sīāsī, the Chancellor Emeritus, of the University of Tehran.
The Society held regular monthly meetings, where a member would present a topic and lead the discussion. The Society, also encouraged useful publications, among them the Fehrest-e ketābhā-ye čāpī-e Fārsī, (“A catalogue of Persian printed books”) by Ḵānbābā Mošār, Tehran, 1337-41 Š./1958-63; rev. ed. in 3 vols., 1352 Š./1973). The Society also published several volumes containing the lectures presented at its meetings. The Society’s activities came to an end in the wake of the Islamic Revolution of 1979.
Originally Published: December 15, 1985
Last Updated: August 5, 2011
This article is available in print.
Vol. II, Fasc. 1, p. 84